house hunting update


Well, we’ve had quite the emotional couple of days. We pretty much fell in love with a house and really, really wanted to buy it. It’s this one, if you want to see it. It’s actually right across the street from where I work. There was an open house a week ago so I thought I would pop in to see it during my lunch break. I instantly loved it and told Raf about it when I got home. It’s a bit more than what we were preapproved for, but we are getting some help from my FIL for the down payment so I thought it would take it down to a price that was affordable for us.

We drove by it a few times and had the realtor show us the inside and Raf really liked it, too. There are some things about it that bother us, like it doesn’t have a garage. That’s a big deal. We need a garage in winter. And it has asbestos shingles. They are in good shape so they don’t pose a health hazard, but still. They could potentially be very harmful. But even with these things we still just loved the house. There was something about it that we liked and we wanted it. So we told our realtor yesterday that we wanted to make an offer on the house today, and we made an appointment at 8:00 this morning. The realtor wanted us to make an offer yesterday, immediately. But Raf told him that we would wait until the morning. I’m so glad he did.

I went to work and thought about it. First of all I did a little bit of research. I went to and say that Zillow priced the house at $114,000. That’s ALOT less than what they are asking for it. Even if Zillow isn’t factoring in the updates to the home, that is still a lot. And then I checked to see what my mortgage would be, including taxes and insurance. I just came to the sad realization that we just can’t afford this house with all of the bills we have. It was kind of hard to see this and come to this conclusion, because we are so in love with this house. But you can’t argue with numbers, you know? And we just can’t afford it.

So, I guess it’s back to searching for something more in our price range. That’s going to get us something that isn’t in the nicest area of town, though. Which sucks. I think we are just going to take our time looking, too. We aren’t in a big rush to find something. In fact, we have a year-long lease with our Landlord so if we moved now it would break our lease and that’s more money to shell out. So I think I will just take a deep breath, count to ten, and not get so caught up in the emotion of this process.