November is a difficult month for me. For the past five years the modus operandi has been to fall into a groove of grief that turns into a depression that becomes very difficult to dig my way out of. I started to find myself in that familiar, depressing, place about a week ago. Somehow, something inside of me decided I was tired of feeling sad and unhappy. Surely, there is a better way? So I decided to figure out how I could find my way out of this groove.
I began to collect songs into a “Happy” playlist on my iPhone. I asked my friends on Facebook and Twitter for their favorite happy songs, too.
When I was beginning to feel depressed last week I thought I would try to change the course of my day by changing the first 5 minutes of my morning. Instead of waking up feeling dread I would do something to make myself feel happy. So the first five minutes of every day for the past week has been dedicated to listening to a song from the “happy” playlist. I don’t do anything else, just listen. Sometimes I sit on my meditation cushion and listen. Guess what? It has worked. There is something about listening to a happy song that has sort of thrown my brain out of the habit of being negative first thing in the morning. Shitty things still happen, but it seems like I am able to let it roll off my back better.
I thought I would share my “happy” playlist with you! It is constantly changing. I am removing things and adding to it. But this is what it looks like today. What would you add to it?
Note: I am fully aware that some of these song are “uncool.” that is part of the fun. They are guilty pleasures. 🙂
- I Can See Clearly Now – Johnny Nash
- Don’t Stop – Fleetwood Mac
- Magic – B.o.B.
- Lovely Day – Bill Withers
- Happy House – The Juan Maclean
- Let Forever Be – The Chemical Brothers
- Shake It Off – Taylor Swift (YOU LIKE TAYLOR SWIFT!)
- Good Times Roll – The Cars
- Horizons – An Horse
- Float On – Modest Mouse
- Three Little Birds – Bob Marley
- The Middle – Jimmy Eat World
- Whip It – Devo
- Fall Back Down – Rancid
- You Are A Tourist – Death Cab For Cutie
- Don’t Stop Believin’– Journey
- I Gotta Feeling – The Black Eyed Peas
- Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO
- Celebration – Kool And The Gang
- On Top Of The World – Imagine Dragons
- The Great Divide – The Mowglis
- Safe And Sound – Capital Cities
- This Too Shall Pass – OK Go