Several weeks ago my buddy Frank started posting photos on his Instagram account with the hashtag #100happydays. I found myself really enjoying seeing these posts and decided that maybe I would try it myself. I was hoping that, perhaps, it would be like putting a “happy filter” on my eyes and maybe cause me to seek out things that make me happy throughout the day. It’s been a wonderful exercise and I do find myself a little bit happier in the week I started this.
I thought, for posterity, I would post the photos on this blog once a week in a gallery. So here is week one of #100happydays.
3/27: Stroopwafel for breakfast
3/26: Hidden treasures in the forest
3/25: The promise of Spring
3/24: Guilty pleasures on iTunes
3/23: Days that start with bubbles are the best days.
3/22: Coffee and a good feminist read
3/21: My Barcelona ❤ scarf
3/20: Pinhole in the forest
3/19: Mooncakes with Donna
I am reaching a stage in my One Pinhole A Day project where I will need to do some scanning to add to the photos! Dear me. Scanning isn’t my favorite thing. I will try to get to that this weekend, though.
Here is one from December 12. I was shopping in the grocery store in the Christmas aisle. I thought the flashy stuff would make and interesting photo, but kind of forgot I had Lomochrome Purple in my camera.
One Pinhole A Day
Camera: Holga WPC
Film: Lomochrome Purple
Exposure time: 1 minute 26 seconds
Date: Dec 12, 2016
I just realized that today is World Poetry Day! So in desperation I searched for something to post and I dug up this gem from a few years ago: my friend and colleague reading “What Is Poetry” by Lawrence Ferlinghetti. Her husband is on bongos. I’ve posted it before but it’s worth a re-post. It makes me smile when I hear it. 🙂
You can learn more about Lawrence Ferlinghetti here.
Still working my way through those One Pinhole A Day photos. Here is December 14. I took this while eating lunch at my regular lunch hangout. I was probably eating my usual: grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Here are some random things going on in my head this week:
- Somehow, over the weekend, I found myself deep in a pretty bad depression. I am finally coming out of it, but wow. It wasn’t fun. I think I am feeling very overwhelmed with the world lately and everything hit me the wrong way.
- During this episode I was having insomnia and I took melatonin to help me sleep. This was a very bad idea. It made me super sleepy and drowsy, even after having 9 hours of sleep. And it kind of made the depression more difficult to work through (mostly because I was so tired).
- I was curious about melatonin so I did some research and found some really interesting articles about it, especially this one in the NYT (thanks to Inge!).
- In my research I found out how to use melatonin to combat jet lag.
- I also found this quiz to help you figure out what kind of sleeper you are. I “found out” that I am a “strong morning” person (I already knew this). But it was really cool to read about this and how my body naturally readies itself for bed at a particular time. I always thought this was something I trained myself to do but it looks like it’s more biological. Interesting stuff! The article also talks about using chronotherapy as a treatment for depression.
- Totally unrelated to sleep, I read this blog post today about right action during troubled times and it made me feel a bit better.
About the photo:
It was made with a Holga WPC and Lomochrome Purple film.