Sometime last Autumn I decided to dust of the Olympus Pen and play around with it again, having given it a rest for a couple of years. It took me three months to get through the roll. I’d kind of forgotten that I was dealing with half-frames.
I took it with me to Newport, Oregon over Christmas, among other places. Here are the results. I tried being mindful of the diptych idea but at some point lost track of what I was doing. I think I will need to be more organized next time. I love the creative potential with this camera!
A few weeks ago I wrote this down:
In 48 hours I will receive an Olympus Pen EE series half frame film camera that works perfectly and is in perfect shape. It will be given to me or it will be found at a local thrift store for under $10.
I was testing the universe to see if I could pull something out of thin air. To make something that I really want appear out of nowhere. I have been coveting an Olympus Pen EE half frame camera for a long time and thought, “why not?” I’d see if I could find one. Cameras seem to be appearing out of nowhere for me lately so why not one that I actually want?
So I spent the next few days visiting all of the thrift stores and antique shops in Sandy during my lunch break. Unfortunately I didn’t find an Olympus Pen during my shopping excursions. I was kind of bummed.
I also searched Ebay to see what I could find. I felt like this might be cheating so I didn’t take my searching too seriously. I found one that had been in someone’s attic and the bidding started at $9.99. This price fit my parameters but still, that nagging feeling that I was cheating persisted so I told myself that I would check again in a couple of days and if it was still around I would just buy it.
A couple of days went by and no one gave me their old Olympus Pen and I didn’t find one sitting on a shelf in a thrift store. I went back to Ebay. The auction I looked at earlier was in full swing and the bidding was up to $20. This just wasn’t going to work for me at all. So I scrolled through the list. I found one that was being sold for parts. The seller couldn’t “get the back open” and the “shutter was sticky.” He was selling it for around $12 and shipping was free. The free shipping was really what sold me. And $12 is close enough to $10. I figured it was worth the gamble. If it was broken I would fix it. There are plenty of tutorials online. I ordered it and it was on my doorstep two days later.
The issue with the back wasn’t an issue at all. I knew this when I bought it because I read the instruction manual and the back has a funny way of coming off. So there’s one problem already fixed. The shutter seemed to work fine to me as well. So I plopped some film it it and took it for a spin. Here is how this “broken camera” performed.
I do believe the universe came through after all!!