Thank goodness! I’m not crazy:
A Swedish hospital wants to ban its staff from wearing Crocs plastic clogs, saying they generate static electricity that can knock out medical equipment, a spokesman said.
Here’s the backstory: Last fall my Tevas (which I hadn’t even had FOR A YEAR) totally broke. I was seriously bummed out. I wore those things everywhere last summer and I really expected them to last me forever. Not wanting to by a replacement pair of Tevas (since the first pair didn’t last very long) I decided to buy a pair of Crocs. I didn’t think I would ever jump on that bandwagon, but in the end I am a joiner I guess. So I bought them and wore them last Fall. However, I kept getting shocked when I wore them. And it was a really painful, electricity shooting out of my fingers kind of shock (My hands freaking hurt right now just THINKING about it). It usually happened at the grocery story when I went to grab something off of the shelf. I would grab my can of beans and there would be an audible snap and I could see electricity and it would hurt like hell! and then I would say something like, “Fuck! Ouch!” Not good, being that I am a children’s librarian and I live in the same community in which I work. Yeah. I don’t need the little kids I read stories to seeing me jumping up and down cursing at the grocery store.
Needless to say I don’t wear them anymore at all. Which is too bad because they are really quite comfy. But to this day I still, in the back of my mind, am the tiniest bit afraid to touch the can of beans on the shelf for fear of getting shocked. And now I know I’m not crazy because they are having the same problem in Sweden.
Read the article here: