November is a difficult month for me. For the past five years the modus operandi has been to fall into a groove of grief that turns into a depression that becomes very difficult to dig my way out of. I started to find myself in that familiar, depressing, place about a week ago. Somehow, something inside of me decided I was tired of feeling sad and unhappy. Surely, there is a better way? So I decided to figure out how I could find my way out of this groove.
I began to collect songs into a “Happy” playlist on my iPhone. I asked my friends on Facebook and Twitter for their favorite happy songs, too.
When I was beginning to feel depressed last week I thought I would try to change the course of my day by changing the first 5 minutes of my morning. Instead of waking up feeling dread I would do something to make myself feel happy. So the first five minutes of every day for the past week has been dedicated to listening to a song from the “happy” playlist. I don’t do anything else, just listen. Sometimes I sit on my meditation cushion and listen. Guess what? It has worked. There is something about listening to a happy song that has sort of thrown my brain out of the habit of being negative first thing in the morning. Shitty things still happen, but it seems like I am able to let it roll off my back better.
I thought I would share my “happy” playlist with you! It is constantly changing. I am removing things and adding to it. But this is what it looks like today. What would you add to it?
Note: I am fully aware that some of these song are “uncool.” that is part of the fun. They are guilty pleasures. 🙂
- I Can See Clearly Now – Johnny Nash
- Don’t Stop – Fleetwood Mac
- Magic – B.o.B.
- Lovely Day – Bill Withers
- Happy House – The Juan Maclean
- Let Forever Be – The Chemical Brothers
- Shake It Off – Taylor Swift (YOU LIKE TAYLOR SWIFT!)
- Good Times Roll – The Cars
- Horizons – An Horse
- Float On – Modest Mouse
- Three Little Birds – Bob Marley
- The Middle – Jimmy Eat World
- Whip It – Devo
- Fall Back Down – Rancid
- You Are A Tourist – Death Cab For Cutie
- Don’t Stop Believin’– Journey
- I Gotta Feeling – The Black Eyed Peas
- Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO
- Celebration – Kool And The Gang
- On Top Of The World – Imagine Dragons
- The Great Divide – The Mowglis
- Safe And Sound – Capital Cities
- This Too Shall Pass – OK Go
5 thoughts on “CraftyMoni’s cure for the November blues”
Walking on Sunshine, by Katrina and the Waves!
This one always brings a smile to my face.
Oh I love that one!
Love this post, glad you’ve found something to combat the blues. Lynsey does the same thing when she’s in the shower first thing in the morning. Oh and thanks for the Taylor Swift Saturday Night Live video – that was brilliant. I love Taylor Swift, but no vertigo here 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks James! So glad you enjoyed it :). That SNL video cracks me up. I am completely guilty of vertigo induced by Taylor Swift, but oh well 🙂