Still working my way through those One Pinhole A Day photos. Here is December 14. I took this while eating lunch at my regular lunch hangout. I was probably eating my usual: grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Here are some random things going on in my head this week:
- Somehow, over the weekend, I found myself deep in a pretty bad depression. I am finally coming out of it, but wow. It wasn’t fun. I think I am feeling very overwhelmed with the world lately and everything hit me the wrong way.
- During this episode I was having insomnia and I took melatonin to help me sleep. This was a very bad idea. It made me super sleepy and drowsy, even after having 9 hours of sleep. And it kind of made the depression more difficult to work through (mostly because I was so tired).
- I was curious about melatonin so I did some research and found some really interesting articles about it, especially this one in the NYT (thanks to Inge!).
- In my research I found out how to use melatonin to combat jet lag.
- I also found this quiz to help you figure out what kind of sleeper you are. I “found out” that I am a “strong morning” person (I already knew this). But it was really cool to read about this and how my body naturally readies itself for bed at a particular time. I always thought this was something I trained myself to do but it looks like it’s more biological. Interesting stuff! The article also talks about using chronotherapy as a treatment for depression.
- Totally unrelated to sleep, I read this blog post today about right action during troubled times and it made me feel a bit better.
About the photo:
It was made with a Holga WPC and Lomochrome Purple film.
Check it out! I have a new post up on Pinhole Obscura, after a very long hiatus.
Last summer my husband and I found ourselves in Redmond, WA overnight for photography show opening. While we were there we found out we were really close to a couple of locations where Twin Peaks was filmed. Since we are both giant fans of the show we knew we needed to take the long way home […]
via Twin Peaks tourists – Washington State — Pinhole Obscura
I have nothing interesting to post about today so here is another animated gif of a freak snowstorm we had last week.
In normal life mode you do your thing: go to work, do your hobbies, maybe hang out with a friend your two, rinse and repeat. But sometimes you get to experience a truly epic weekend that defies all the logic of regular living.
I found myself reading some old blog posts and remembered May 2003. It was one of those epic weekends. Two pretty major events happened that weekend. I graduated with my MLIS, and my mom and stepdad drove down to Santa Cruz, CA to attend the ceremony. They stayed I think one night? We somehow managed to pack a million things into the visit (including a tour of Pebble Beach). The morning they left we boarded a plane to Las Vegas to attend my Brother In Law’s Wedding. I am not normally an on-the-go kind of person. I kind of need a lot of time to process stuff. I can’t believe I did all of this in a mere few hours!
Anyway, in the process of all of this reminiscing I spend some time looking at the photos from my graduation. And then yesterday my Mother in Law sent me a photo from my graduation from UCSC . And BOOM. A blog post was born.
The left is my graduation at UCSC (BA), the right is my graduation four years later from SJSU (MLIS). Should I tell you how old I was in these photos? Hmm. I think I’ll leave that a secret.